Subject: Re: emacs on mips chip
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Bob Lantz <avenger@leland.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/29/1999 14:56:43
On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> Emacs doesn't have unexec support that works on NetBSD/mips;
> none of the supplied mips support  works with our ELF.
>
> The long-term solution is to get a working unexec.  (This was very
> difficult until fairly recently, due to bugs in gdb.)

I had a terrible time compiling xemacs. The standard netbsd distribution did
not build. I had to hack unexecelf.c (?) to look for .sbss instead of .bss,
I believe, and it built a working non-stripped executable. However,
stripping the executable destroyed it, so now I am running the non-stripped
version.

The great thing about elf is it is a standard which is different on
every platform.

I am not impressed by emacs' brittle "unexec" build scheme, either. Blech.

Bob