Subject: problems with xdm
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Nik Ingle <ingle@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/28/1999 14:01:00
Pmax people:

I am having a hard time figuring out how to get xdm working.  I can start
an X session using xinit (after I start the X font server, xfs, and have
the port 7100 set to xfs in /etc/services) where my

.xserverrc file contains: exec X -fp tcp/localhost:7100
and
.xinitrc file contains:   xterm -g 80x24+0+0 &
 			  fvwm

My impression from the xdm man pages were that I needed the
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xserver file to be the same as the .xserverrc file
above, and the Xsession file to be much the same as the .xinitrc

In the /etc/rc.conf file I also set xdm to YES.  On a reboot, I get a
console, and if I check ps -aux I find xdm is running, however, I see no
evidence of it.

What am I missing, or misunderstanding?

thanks

Nik Ingle