Subject: Re: mips3 problem on todays kernel?
To: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/27/1999 19:24:25
In message <Pine.ULT.4.05.9901271940540.16392-100000@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>"
Michael L. Hitch" writes
>On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Jonathan Stone wrote:

>  Yep - it's the same thing.  Here's a message I have been trying to get
>finished:
>
>The R4x00 support on DECstations since January 16 appears to be broken.
>I was able to boot a kernel built from the January 9 sources, but it
>fails since the January 16 sources.

Thanks. Your patch worke for me, too. Please commit it.
(and you're weclome for the ddb entry.)

Meantime I'd written an assembler version of memset(), just to be
paranoid about avoiding the hardware bugs which the assembly version
of bcopy() (now memcpy/memmove) also avoids.  It didnt fix the TLB-miss
stuff, but it may alleviate  page-crossing faults.

BTW, is there any way to add back the stack-overflow checking code,
rather than saying that a kernel-mode pagefaut came from "outer
space"?  It means sparsely allocating kva space for kernel stacks, to
leave a "redzone" above and below each page. Or burning two more
physical pages for each kstack, and checking for stack-boundary pages
in the miss handler...