Subject: Re: Install Question
To: None <hamblin@cs.wisc.edu, port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/13/1999 10:39:44
Hi.

> Hello.  I just installed (or thought I did) 1.3.3 onto a DEC 5000/125.
> I boot off of the disk that sysinst says should boot, but when it comes
> up i get
>
>        init: single user shell terminated, restarted
>
> forever.  Why is this?  The message appears whether or not rc_configured
> is set in rc.conf.

That's quite alarming.  /bin/sh keeps dying while /sbin/init is
attemping to restart one after one.  This might be caused by a
corrupted /bin/sh image.

If you can boot your machine with installation software, check and see
whether /bin/sh is installed correctly at your target filesystem.

Tohru Nishimura
Information Technology Centre
Nara Institute of Science and Technology