Subject: Re: Current PMAX 5000/200 SCSI oddity
To: Greg Wohletz <greg@duke.CS.UNLV.EDU>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/21/1998 15:54:22
On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Greg Wohletz wrote:

> >which is partially fixed in -current and 1.3.3.  I was able to duplicate
> >some of the problems that Greg Wohletz reported in that PR, and fix or
> >work around them, but Greg was still having problems that I was not
> >able to duplicate on my system and was not able to come up with anything
> >for Greg to try that would help me understand where the problem was.  My
> >guess is that it depends upong the SCSI devices attached to the system,
> >and the devices I have don't exhibit that problem.
> >
> >  Until I can get a device configuration that has the same problem, this
> >is probably not likely to get fixed soon.  [Also, when the pmax finally
> >gets switched to the MI ncr53c9x driver, the problem may disappear.]
> >
> >Michael
> >

> I've been able to eliminate the probalem on my 200s by using an old version
> of the driver (1.2F i believe).  I can provide the replacement code to
> anyone who is interested.
>
> Using this driver I have one 5000/200 acting as a squid proxy for several
> thousand users, and another acting as an NNTP server, both are performing
> well under this rather heavy load.

  I've still got Greg's diffs between an older version of the asc driver
that worked, and the one that was failing when I was working with him on
these problems.  I guess it's time to dig out those changes and try to
determine exactly what had changed and how it might affect this particular
problem.  Since I'm about to leave for 2 weeks, I probably won't be able
to even look at this until the 2nd week in January.

Michael L. Hitch			osymh@montana.edu
Computer Consultant
Information Technology Center