Subject: Re: Decstation 5000/240
To: Greg <damin@cleveland.lug.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/17/1998 17:11:10
On Wed, 16 Dec 1998 17:55:33 -0500 (EST)  Greg wrote:

> Howdy,
> 	Just acquired a Decstation 5000/240 for development purposes and
> found out that it has KNO3-AA V5.1b boot PROMS that appear to have
> problems with TFTP booting.
>
> 	What are my options for netbooting this machine? I've got a Linux
> server setup as a Bootp/TFTP server for other purposes, and hoped to use
> it to boot the NetBSD decstation, but that doesn't seem to be working
> quite the way I had planned.

Try booting the "nfsnetbsd.ecoff" kernel and see if that works.  It's a
stripped down kernel that may work on some machines because it comes in
under 1MB.  If it does, please let me know.

Another option is to try an even smaller kernel compiled for only the
5000/200 with minimal support for anything else.  I can do this for you
in the next 24 hours, or after New Year's.

> 	The netbooting faq for the Pmon is sort of incomplete (says so
> right on it).

Guilty :(  I'll see what I can do after Xmas...

Simon.