Subject: Re: VT1300 SPX
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/16/1998 11:19:42
On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Marc Gutschner wrote:

> Anton J. Gamel wrote:
>=20
> >Has someone information/experience about VT1300 X-terminals?
> >I have got three specified with VT1300 SPX ...
> >The outfit is like a DECstation 3100 , 8Mb RAM, Mono (8pl 2D).
> >The PROM version is KA42-A V1.6 (KN42-A V1.6?)
>=20
>=20
> Well, from the PROM-Version info I get the impression that you are asking
> this question in the wrong list :-) AFAIK the 1300 series of X-Terminals =
are
> in fact VAXstations in disguise. There has been a bit of discussion about
> these particular beasts in the port-vax list some time ago. IIRC someone =
has
> managed to get one of these boot a NetBSD kernel...

  I think the VT1300 is basically a VAXstation 3100 (somewere around model
30, I think).

> >it seems that it can boot from Disk! But which OS??
>=20
>=20
> Most likely they need some customized version of X11 (+ a minimal kernel,
> though I don=B4t know if that would be more like Ultrix or more like VMS =
:-))

  They normally boot a VAXeln X11 server image file from a boot host.
If the VT1300 is really a 3100/30 board, it should be able to boot a
3100/30 NetBSD kernel as well, and presumably would have the 3100/30 SCSI
adapter stuff.

Michael