Subject: Re: problem booting 5k/240
To: Yiorgos Adamopoulos <adamo@dblab.ece.ntua.gr>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/11/1998 13:06:47
On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Yiorgos Adamopoulos wrote:

> Today after I shutdown 4 of our DS and moved the memory chips to the
> fifth.  So it now has 96MB of RAM.  All are 8MB memory modules.  8 of
> them from 5k/200 and the other 4 from 5k/240 (they are different
> boards).  However, after this upgrade it refuses to boot.
[SNIP]
> Any help is much appreciated.

strange that the lance should stop working, but I've seen stranger things
happen...

does the memory test OK from within the PROM?  A 'test 3/mem *' would show
you if something is amiss in memory land.  Also when doing the RAM
shuffle, remember that the RAM connectors aren't rated for very many
pull/insert cycles (6 I think?) so it's possible that there's some bad
connections.

I recently moved some 32Mb modules from my 5k/200 to my 5k/240, and they
refused to work until I wiggled them a little bit.  You might want to try
it.  :)

----
  Aaron J. Grier  | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@poofy.goof.com
      "A few compilers designed on and for the original IBM 370 series
       machines have a more effective register allocater than anything
       GCC has ever posessed." -- David S. Miller on linux-kernel