Subject: problem booting 5k/240
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Yiorgos Adamopoulos <adamo@dblab.ece.ntua.gr>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/11/1998 19:39:06
Hi,

Today after I shutdown 4 of our DS and moved the memory chips to the fifth.  So
it now has 96MB of RAM.  All are 8MB memory modules.  8 of them from 5k/200 and
the other 4 from 5k/240 (they are different boards).  However, after this
upgrade it refuses to boot.

It starts booting and the kernel (1.3.2) stops with this message:

[ preserving 94144 bytes of netbsd symbol table ]

Also, when I try to netboot from a FreeBSD (3.0 RELEASE server) I get IO LANCE
errors sts 0xa6b8

It seems that it cannot load any kernel (netbsd.ecoff, nfsnetbsd.ecoff,
small-kernel stripped).

The PROM is KN03-AA V5.2b which seems to support TFTP.  The logs and tcpdump
show that it loads the kernel and then it starts IO LANCE errors.

Any help is much appreciated.
--
Yiorgos Adamopoulos         -- #include <std/disclaimer.h>
adamo@dblab.ece.ntua.gr     -- Knowledge and Data Base Systems Laboratory, NTUA