Subject: 2nd pre-release snapshot of NetBSD-1.3.3 available
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/02/1998 19:14:19
There's another __pre-release__ snapshot of NetBSD 1.3.3 available, at
ftp.NetBSD.org:~pub/NetBSD/arch/pmax/pre-1.3.3/snapshot-2 .  I haven't
updated the kernel source file, so that's left in the snapshot-1
directory.  Also, the snapshot-1 X sets are still available, as they
use the older XFree86 3.3.2 release.  The same warnings apply as per
snapshot-1, so I've included that announcement below.

NOTE:  Even though this snapshot includes XFree86 3.3.3, there has been
no formal decision on whether or not it will ship with NetBSD 1.3.3.
NetBSD 1.3.3 may still ship with XFree86 3.3.2 yet.

Here are the additional features to snapshot-1:

 + Fix for dc serial consoles.

 + More work on the installation tools, resulting in a smaller diskimage
   (now approx. 2.3 Mbytes).  A clean diskimage is used each time so
   any unused areas on the disk image are zeros - these compress much
   better!

 + The recently released XFree86 3.3.3.

 + Fix data corrpution in mmap()/msync().

 + Update to IP Filder 3.2.10

Simon.

> From: Simon Burge <simonb@telecom.com.au>
> To: port-pmax@netbsd.org
> Subject: Pre-release snapshot of NetBSD-1.3.3 available
> Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 13:25:58 +1100

Folks,

There's a pre-release snapshot of the up-and-coming NetBSD 1.3.3 release
available for the pmax.  A release(7) format of the snapshot is located
at ftp.NetBSD.org:~pub/NetBSD/arch/pmax/pre-1.3.3/snapshot-1 .

This is an __unofficial__ pre-release snapshot of 1.3.3 - it is not the
final 1.3.3 release.  The real 1.3.3 release should be available soon
(but I don't know the definition of "soon"!).

At the moment, I believe there's only one know bug: A machine with the
`dc' serial driver (the 2100, 3100 and 5000/200) will hang during boot
if it's using a serial console.

NOTE:  You may find the system date jumps forward one year into the
future when you first boot a 1.3.3 kernel.  Simply set the date back to
the real date if this occurs.

Some important pmax-specific changes are:

 + A completely in-tree toolchain for the first time!  The only
   components that don't build out of the NetBSD 1.3.3 source tree are
   the bootblocks and the X11R5 X servers.

 + The installation diskimage is built with the crunch tools that allows
   a much smaller image when compressed.  The 1.3.2 diskimage.gz is
   about 8 MBytes and the 1.3.3 diskimage.gz is about 2.3 Mbytes.

 + Working C++ support.

 + RTC offset adjusted to cope with 1999.

 + Revised console support.

 + Support for installing on to rz5, rz6, rz7 (on a 2100 and 3100), rz13
   and rz14

 + Support for the TZ30 and WangTek QIC-150 tape drives.

 + Fix an error in the `asc' SCSI driver that resulted in a system
   reboot without any error message unless DEBUG was defined.

 + Support for the PMAGB-B framebuffer running at a resolution of
   1024x864.

 + Support for non-DEC (block size != 512 byte) CDROM drives.

Simon.