Subject: Re: Pre-release snapshot of NetBSD-1.3.3 available
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/23/1998 09:53:28
On Sun, 22 Nov 1998 14:36:32 -0800 (PST)  "Aaron J. Grier" wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Nov 1998, Simon Burge wrote:
>
> > Ah, a guinea pig^W^Wtester!  Could you please try the kernel in
> > ftp.NetBSD.ORG:/pub/NetBSD/arch/pmax/pre-1.3.3/sdb-kernels ? It has
> > already to been reported to work on a 5000/200 without a mouse, so it
> > should work for you too.  Another check won't hurt...
>
> It boots, but goes into a loop of "init: single user shell terminated,
> restarting" if that makes any difference...  (I have the 10-25 snapshot
> installed):

I'd guess that the problem is your -current'ish /bin/sh is trying a
system call that doesn't exist in the 1.3.3 kernel.  I wouldn't be too
worried about it (famous last words!).

Thanks for testing it.

> > What triggers the reboot, and is it only with the 10-25 snapshot?
>
> As far as I can tell, simply removing the serial console for 30 seconds
> or so is enough to make it reboot.  I didn't notice this problem with
> older kernels, but then again, I don't think I was looking for it.  :)
> Should I try a -current on it?  Or one of the sdb-kernels?

This is on the 5000/200?  I guess without the console connected, you
don't see the panic, do you? :-)  After it reboots, does "dmesg" still
contain the old kernel message buffer showing the panic?

I don't think there's any changes in -current that would help (Jonathan,
Michael?).  Tohru Nisimura has been doing some work on new console
handling on a non-mainline kernel branch, but I think thats oriented to
the new graphics console handling code and not serial console support.
If it's a problem for you, I can build you a -current kernel to see if
that helps.

The "sdb-kernels" are 1.3.3 pre-release kernels, so if you're running
-current that would be a step backwards.

Simon.