Subject: Re: NetBSD and multicasting / NTP
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/22/1998 18:02:11
On Sun, 22 Nov 1998, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> Is your multicast key configured correctly? The key number, key type
> an key value have to be the same on all multicast clietns as they are
> on the multicast (or broadcast) server.

* from /etc/ntp.conf on the and clients:

authenticate yes
keys /etc/ntp.keys
trustedkey	15 65535
requestkey	65535
controlkey	65535

* /etc/ntp.keys on the server and client:

65535   A       AKEY
15      M       36e445ec80bfc18188f8231aad72479c

do I need an A key for key 15?

> or you can start xntpd with no auth set (-A on the commandline).
> the manual page is ... less than helpful about explaining that.
>
> Once you've double-checked that: does it work?

When all authentication is turned off, everything works just fine.  (Now
why didn't I try that before?)

----
  Aaron J. Grier  | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@poofy.goof.com
      "If DOS had been better in the first place, I might not have
         started this." -- Linus Torvalds, regarding Linux