Subject: Re: Pre-release snapshot of NetBSD-1.3.3 available
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/22/1998 15:14:54
On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Simon Burge wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Nov 1998 14:36:32 -0800 (PST)  "Aaron J. Grier" wrote:
> > As far as I can tell, simply removing the serial console for 30 seconds
> > or so is enough to make it reboot.  I didn't notice this problem with
> > older kernels, but then again, I don't think I was looking for it.  :)
> > Should I try a -current on it?  Or one of the sdb-kernels?
>
> This is on the 5000/200?

The "reboot on console disconnect" problem is on a 2100.  I can yank and
replug consoles on my 5000s without any problems.  (Yes, I know I really
shouldn't be doing this, but I don't have a serial multiplexer, and
although my VAX has enough serial ports, all efforts to load NetBSD on it
have failed, but that's a whole other story for port-vax...)  :)

> I guess without the console connected, you don't see the panic, do you?
> :-)  After it reboots, does "dmesg" still contain the old kernel message
> buffer showing the panic?

Ah, dmesg persists across reboots... duh.  These aren't PCs.  :)

> If it's a problem for you, I can build you a -current kernel to see if
> that helps.

I have a /240, so it only takes around an hour...

----
  Aaron J. Grier  | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@poofy.goof.com
    "The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy
     way to factor large prime numbers."
         --  Bill Gates, "The Road Ahead", Viking Penguin (1995), p265