Subject: NetBSD and multicasting / NTP
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/22/1998 15:00:16
Now that I have my 5000/200 back up and running, I've been looking at
getting NTP working correctly with multicasting...

The problem is that peers discovered via multicast always dissapear
between multicast broadcasts, since the reachability change goes to zero
before the next multicast packet is received.

I guess it boils down to the question: why does xntpd think that 224.0.1.1
is unreachable?  The reachability change should be going up, not down...

(For the curious, the same thing happens under linux as well.)

----
  Aaron J. Grier  | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@poofy.goof.com
       "a man is not judged by cpu cycles alone.  it's *floorspace* and
                 *tonnage* that counts!" -- Skeezics Boondoggle