Subject: re: scsi/rz lossage in 1.3 branch.
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/17/1998 19:56:42
On Nov 17,  6:14pm, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> >so, i have a couple of 5000's with two RZ25.  when booting after a
> >power cycle, i often get from the non-boot disk:
> >
> >rz2: not ready
>
> What kind of 5000s?  5000/200s (or TC option scsi cards?)

  I  have seen this in a 5000/25 (and maybe a 5000/50, but I can't
remember at the moment).

> there's a known problem Michael hitch was looking at.  There may be a
> pullup request pending; i dont know if it already got processed.

  I remember briefly looking at this, but I can't remember if I was
able to determine what the problem was.  It also seems like I noticed
that the problem "went away" at some point - but I don't know if that
was with a -current kernel, or when I was testing the MI scsi driver
code.

> >(i think that's the error; i don't have access to the console right
> >now).  this generally causes fsck to fail cuz it can't find the
> >partition on that disk, and then i type /sbin/reboot at the prompt,
> >and this time it works.  it seems as if the rz driver is not giving
> >the disk long enough to spin up?  it only happens when the drive is
> >not spun up before the boot begins.

  It looked more to me like the driver was waiting until the drive
spun up, but then got some kind of unexpected error status and gave up.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant