Subject: Re: Problems with serial console
To: Michael Moll <Michael.Moll@chiemgau.baynet.de>
From: Tim Austwick <tima@tardis.ed.ac.uk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/09/1998 14:09:01
> Now the whole system is at my home and I try make the serial console work=
=2E
> I=B4m using a Null-Modemcable and my Amiga with a Terminalprogramm. But I=
 get
> no reaction from the DEC at all. When I enter =BBboot=AB on the DEC-Keybo=
ard
> the Harddisks start to work, so I think the keyboard is now the system-
> console. According to the Documentation I entered =BBsetenv console s=AB =
on the
> keyboard but the Terminal remains empty.

With my DEC 240 i've had similar experiences. If i connect a dumb terminal
to it, and enter setenv console s it appears to switch to the serial port
for i/o but i can only INPUT. Ie, nothing siplays on the dumb terminal,
but if i type 'reset' i can see all the lights flash, so i can obviously
send from the dumb term.

I never managed to resolve this. I reckon its down to crappy 240, which,
off the record, is the buggiest system?

If you fix it some how, could you let me know?=20

Cheers,

Tim Austwick