Subject: 1.3.2 pmax diskimage boot won't mount r/w
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Robert D. Keys <bsdbob@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/04/1998 10:18:21
I was trying, for the first time, to totally redo my pmax box and set it
up for 1.3.2.  Before I tried, I set up the temporary root fs in rz0b,
and put the netbsd-1.3.2 kernel in the root of rz0a.  On reboot, it
seemed to come up fine, BUT, sysinst would not work because the file
systems came up read-only.  Somewhere, in the mounting of root the
second time for r/w, it errors out with a mount error 22.  I will assume
my magick incantations are off somewhere, but I thought I followed the
install guide religiously.  Sync and halt were used to shut it down,
since shutdown also bombed.  Except for coming up read-only, it reboots
fine.  Before I shut it down, the first time, I dd'd a spare diskimage
onto the rz1 for good measure.  It also has the same problem when moved
to rz0.  The disk labels look fine.  When I moved the rz1 to rz0, I
installed a third drive in rz1 and was able to successfully write the
disk label and partition the drive.  But, I can't get it to mount r/w.
Before I drop back to taking the drives to a dos box and rawriting the
root fs diskimage, are there any other things I can try?  I am not on
a network at home, except for a lone ancient AIX box, without NFS.
Ftp works fine, though, IFF I can get a working miniroot up on the pmax
from which to fetch the sysinst binary sets.

Any suggestions very welcome......

Bob Keys