Subject: Re: Tape Drives?
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/02/1998 13:57:07
		[ ... EXA-8200 shows up SCSI 7 ... ]

>> I have a question concerning tape drives. I have my 3100 installed and
>> useable with 1.3.2. I have a TK50 and an external exabyte 8mm, 2G tape
>> drive. I have not tried using the TK50 with NetBSD, but when I try
>> the exabyte with the default rmt nodes I get a message:
>>       mt: /dev/rmt0: Device not configured
>>
>> I tried for rmt1 - 3. Did not see any references in the faq's about
>> the tape drives. The prom sees the drive as address 7 even though the
>> address switch on the drive is set to 5. Seems to always see it
>> as 7 regardless of address switch.

I'd pose here a sound-silly question.  Does the Exabyte really have ID5?

I've a 8mm tape drive labelled "EXB-8200" at front panel.  I hooked it
with Personal DECstation and verified it owes to its SCSI selector.
The drive has a rotary selector with "arrow" at behind.

In an extreme case, the block connector from ID selector is socketed
"upsidedown" which means any selections except for ID0 brings ID7.

If this is not your case, please neglect this message.  Above was what I
did for other SCSI drivers ever before...

Tohru Nishimura
Information Technology Centre
Nara Institute of Science and Technology