Subject: Re: netbooting my DECsystem 5000/260
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/02/1998 10:57:38
> May it be better to panic if we find a non-supported frame buffer as a
> console?  I would guess that most people wouldn't have a handy serial
> console set up, and if the PROM variables point to a serial console, we
> won't get the panic (that's the theory anyway!).

My home-grown NetBSD/pmax kernel will put a message at bottom of bitmap
console screen

	No framebuffer device configured for slot 0: using serial console

and screen is left blank while booting when it was booted with
unsupported TURBOchannel framebuffer option card.  I think it'd be
nicer than 'freezing-while-booting' (BTW, exactly same symptom happens
with TC Alpha DEC3000 which has CXT framebuffer builtin.  Quite
annoying...)

Tohru Nishimura
Information Technology Centre
Nara Institute of Science and Technology