Subject: Re: netbooting my DECsystem 5000/260
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/02/1998 10:12:46
> Another confusing and maybe too simple question:
> How can I connect a serial terminal to the serial port?

I have DB25-> DB9 adaptor connected behind my DECstation and hook
so-called "InterLink Cable (DB9 cross-wired, in reality)" with my Toshiba
Portege.  This works happily.

> According to what you said and some archives, since NetBSD
> switches console to serial one automaticlly, do I still
> have to do a `setenv console s' ?

Because you didn't pull out the unsupported option card and DECstation
PROM monitor still think it as console unless console variable is set
with value 's'.

PROM works following logic;  upon poweron

	1. If console variable is 's', choose serial port as console.
	2. If not, search lowest numbered TURBOchannel slot which has
	   TURBOchannel framebuffer option card.  With your case, it
	   will be TC '0'

According to my experiment, there is not way to override the 'slot
number' with 'console' variable, i.e., when multiple framebuffers ride
on a single system, lowest numbered one will be selected.

Tohru Nishimura
Information Technology Centre
Nara Institute of Science and Technology