Subject: Re: Tape Drives?
To: bob evinger <revinger@marshallonline.com>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/01/1998 11:22:59
On Nov  1,  9:39am, bob evinger wrote:
> I have a question concerning tape drives. I have my 3100 installed and
> useable with 1.3.2. I have a TK50 and an external exabyte 8mm, 2G tape
> drive. I have not tried using the TK50 with NetBSD, but when I try
> the exabyte with the default rmt nodes I get a message:
> 	mt: /dev/rmt0: Device not configured
>
> I tried for rmt1 - 3. Did not see any references in the faq's about
> the tape drives. The prom sees the drive as address 7 even though the
> address switch on the drive is set to 5. Seems to always see it
> as 7 regardless of address switch.
>
> Anybody, used one of these drives successfully or have a clue. I plan
> on cabling the tk50 up later today and see if it behaves the same or not.

  rmt0 is the tape drive at target 5, and rmt1 is the tape drive at
target 6.  rmt2 and rmt3 are the tapes drives at targets 5 and 6
respectively on a second SCSI adapter (i.e. TurboChannel option card).

  If you can't get your drive set to 5 or 6, you will have to modify the
device mappings in pmap/pmap/conf-glue.c.

  Hmm - since the 3100 now uses target 6 for the SCSI adapter, that means
target 6 can't be used on the 3100.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu