Subject: Re: EGCS enabled on mips
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/31/1998 13:26:41
In message <199810312006.MAA18436@Smeg.DSG.Stanford.EDU> Jonathan Stone writes:
: should be a net win. (maybe haifa will help, if its stable on mips;
: i'm building one right now).

I've seen on other lists that haifa on mips helps a little bit too
much and generates code that violates the MIPS ABI.  However, this is
considered to be a bug in the ABI which binutils can easily work
around.  I don't recall the specifics, but it was in the Linux/MIPS
mailing list.  Might be something to look out for when you use th
haifa enabled compile.  Specifically, it would generate multiple %hi
references w/o a corresponding %lo and binutils didn't quite know how
to deal with that.

I'd be very interested to see what you come up with in this area.

Warner