Subject: Re: netbooting my DECsystem 5000/260
To: None <sonnie@263.net, port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/31/1998 10:53:24
On Oct 31,  5:44pm, sonnie@263.net wrote:
> My graphics card type is : PMAGB-EA, not supported.
> DS5000/260 is 3MAXPLUS.
>
> Now does it mean that I *have* to pull the video card off?

  It depends :-)

> The machine hang when this message appears:
>
> scc0 at asic0 offset 0x100000 priority 5
> scc1 at asic0 offset 0x180000 priority 6

  If you are running with the PMAGB-EA as the console, then NetBSD has
just switched all console I/O to the serial port on scc1.  You need to
have a serial terminal connected to the serial port.  You can force
the machine to use the serial console with the 'console' environment
variable:
	>> setenv console "s"

  As to removing the PMAGB-EA, that will depend upon whether the card
is going to be generating interrupts that aren't masked.  I'm running
a 5000/260 with a PMAG-DA card present, and NetBSD happily ignores it.
I'm currently using a serial console, but I also have a PMAGB-BA card
present which I can use as a console when I need to.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant