Subject: scsi disk problems..weird
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Obremski <obremski@alpha.fdu.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/28/1998 08:40:54
Hi All,

A few weeks ago i got a new 512 meg drive to install netbsd on, for my
pmax. I noticed it seemed to have some bad sectors on it (hense my previous
post about low-leveling ona pmax, which no one responded to.) YEsterday
I went out and got a brand-spanking-new 4.5 gig drive (Both of these, btw,
were mac-formatted drives. Dunno why, but thats all i can seem to buy/find
around here.)...and am noticing a similar problem. newfs is claiming to
find bad sectors, read or write errors, etc. I can;t install a stable copy
of netbsd at all.

What's up? These would be drives two and three. (drive one was a known dud,
tested in other boxes. These two drives are known GOOD, also tested in
other boxes. I'm about to lug them into work to strap them to a sparc
to triple-check.) I'm fairly certain it's not bad drives...? Anyone have
any ideas? If necessary i'll re-create the exact error message and re-post
when i get back from work..if anyone thinks it'll help. I'm hoping this is
some known but obscure bug :)

Thanks for all the help;

Greg

--
---

God may be my co-pilot...but the Devil's my bombadier.

--
Greg Obremski                                           obremski@dilbert.org
Consultant                                              obremski@colltech.com

All opinions expressed in this mail are mine, and mine alone. If you disagree
with that, remember that I have root, and you do not.