Subject: Re: Troubles installing NetBSD onto Decstation 5000/125
To: Michael Brown <michael@supermathie.dynip.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/28/1998 16:43:48
On Tue, 27 Oct 1998 15:44:34 -0500 (EST)  Michael Brown wrote:

> Okay, I've got my serial console working, and I've NFS mounted the initial
> diskimage off my other computer, but I try to use sysinst, and after selecting
> "install" I get the message: "I can not find any hard disks for use
> by NetBSD.  You will be returned to the original menu."

Dang - found the problem.  Inside sysinst's "get_disks" subroutine,
there's the following code:

	while (*xd != NULL) {
		for (i=0; i<5; i++) {
			sprintf (d_name, "%s%d", *xd, i);
			if (get_geom (d_name, &l) && numdisks < MAX_DISKS) {
			}
		}
		xd++;
	}

So the no disk greater than 4 (ie, less than 5) can be used.
Without hacking code, you'll have to use SCSI id's less than 5
for sysinst to work.  If changing the SCSI ids is too hard for
some reason, I should be able to compile up a new sysinst
binary for you that should work.

Anyone see a good reason not to change this to "less than 8"?
(Remember, 2100's and 3100's use 6 as the host adapter ID, and
7 is free for disks).

Simon.