Subject: Re: Troubles installing NetBSD onto Decstation 5000/125
To: Michael Brown <michael@supermathie.dynip.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/28/1998 10:08:32
On Tue, 27 Oct 1998 15:44:34 -0500 (EST)  Michael Brown wrote:

> Okay, I've got my serial console working, and I've NFS mounted the initial
> diskimage off my other computer, but I try to use sysinst, and after selecting
> "install" I get the message: "I can not find any hard disks for use
> by NetBSD.  You will be returned to the original menu."
>
> The hard drives are there in /dev - rz5 and rz6. They appear to be fine -
> disklabel outputs sensible information (no experience with disklabel concept
> before this - only x86 arches.) Can somebody point out what's wrong?

Without checking source code, I think SCSI id's 0 through 4 are the
only supported ones for disks.  If rz5 and rz6 show up during the boot
messages, then you should just be able to:

	# cd /dev
	# ./MAKEDEV rz5 rz6

before running sysinst to use them (you may need to make your root
filesystem writeable before doing this - "mount -u /dev/rzXa /" should
do the trick).  If they don't show up, you'll have to change the SCSI
id's on your disks.

Simon.