Subject: Re: Looking for a really "compatible" CD-ROM drive
To: None <CaptnZilog@aol.com>
From: Marc Gutschner <Marc.Gutschner@triplan.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/27/1998 16:10:07
CaptnZilog@aol.com wrote:

> I do know that I have used a SUN CD-rom drive to install software on a
> DecStation...  you could go that route if you have a Sun CD drive
> around.

I already tried a Toshiba XM3401TA, that has been "hacked" for usage on
a SUN - no go :-( Just bombs out with a kernel panic as soon as it is
probed by the Installer... I suspect this has to do with the device
table that is compiled into the CAM driver. It only mentions RRD40,
RRD42, RRD43 and "SONY CD-ROM" as known CD-ROM devices. Maybe the SUN
CD-ROM you used was a "SONY in disguise" :-)

Anyway, thanks. I'll keep on trying...

later,
Marc