Subject: Re: Looking for a really "compatible" CD-ROM drive
To: None <stanp@storm.ca>
From: Marc Gutschner <Marc.Gutschner@triplan.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/27/1998 08:01:20
Stan Pietkiewicz wrote:

> Marc Gutschner wrote:

[...]
> > The Ultrix Kernel boots and the install process comes up with the
> > BASIC or ADVANCED question. Whatever I choose, it then starts
> > scanning for available HDs and bombs out with a kernel panic,

[...]

> I don't know about CD-roms that DEC used, but the ones I've seen on
> Sun boxes all use a 512 byte sector size. Most current CD-ROMs
> (afaict) default to 2048 sectors. A drive that you can set the sector > size might help.....

Uhmm, I thought it was clear from my description of what is happening is
that the DECstation can _boot_ but not _install_ using a third-party
drive. Should have mentioned it explicitly :-) Yes, I've set the drives
to 512 byte block size.

But I should have read more closely, what the Install routine tells me:
It freaks out looking for a device to install _from_. I've found a way
around the kernel panic (booting via bootp/tftp from a FreeBSD box), but
when it tries to locate the install media it bombs out with 'no suitable
device found' and drops me into a maintainance shell. I would try to
install the 'hard way' by 'chpt'ing the disk and restoring the minimal
root-fs - if I only knew how to accomplish this :-) Does anyone on this
list know, what Ultrix does when it searches for the install media ?

Any help is appreciated,
Marc