Subject: Re: new -current snapshot 1998-10-25
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/26/1998 17:05:54

>>     c) 5100s :)

>Anyone else with one of these?

if there is, they're keeping quite.

>Again, failure at the same point (after the "WARNING: clock gained 117
>days -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!" message).  Snoop from a Sun shows the
>last thing it did was send read request for 8 kBytes from /sbin/init and
>a reply was sent.  This is running diskless in case you didn't guess -
>if you think it will help I can probably find a disk to try and boot
>off.

Drat.  double drat. Hm. what happpens if you try an NFS mount with a
read/write size of 512 bytes or 1k?  (is that easy to specify?)

Re disks: knowing if the SII is being initialized and the SCSI bus
probed might be helpful, it would eliminate another cause of potential
lossage.

Hm. is this dying at the point where the kernel is opening /dev/consoe
"for real" rather than using its internal kluded-up version?  that
might be worth looking into.

>Jonathan - did you get my report a couple of days ago about the 5100
>dying with a recent patch from you?

I got the second message. I wondered if this could would be any different.