Subject: Re: Installation problems...
To: port-pmax@netbsd.org, Henrik Laurila <laurila@bore.fysik.lu.se>
From: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/17/1998 22:07:06
On 17 Oct 1998, Henrik Laurila wrote:

> > I intended to net-boot a DECstation 5000/20, in order to install NetBSD,
> > but I will only get this message:
> >
> > KN02-CA V2.0m    (PC: 0xbfc00c78, SP: 0x801fffe8)
> > Boot: 3/rz0/vmunix
> > open(3/rz0/vmunix) failed: 19
> > Can't boot '3/rz0/vmunix'
>

> First, thanks to all of you who have come with suggestions to solve my
> problem.
>
> ^C did work, but by some reason I got a 'R>'-prompt and not a '>>' as
> in every example.

That's the restricted console prompt.

> I have tried:
> boot 3/rz0/netbsd
> boot 3/tftp
> printenv
>
> ...but they all resulted in nothing but a new prompt.
>

> The only command that had any other effect was a single:
> boot
>
> that would hang the CLI, but a ^C would free it.
>

> I have tried the combination:
> setenv haltaction h
> setenv boot "3/rz0/netbsd -a"
>
> but obviously no variables changed, because after a power-down the
> system was trying to boot Ultrix as usual....
>

> I would like to be able to net-boot the machine, but I have now anyway
> raw-copied a NetBSD-diskimage to the disk. "rz0" is supposed to be the
> first partition of the disk, right?
> The disk is OK, I have tested to install a Linux ext2 file system on it
> without any problems.
>

> Any other suggestions of what my problems could be?

Use the clear-NVR jumper described in "Personal DECstation 5000 Hardware
Maintenance Guide"

o First locate the two-pin nvr connector, if you're in front of the
machine it's located left from the power connecter and marked "nvr".

o Slide a jumper over the nvr connector.

o Turn on the system power and wait for the console prompt to appear.

o When the console prompt appears, turn off the system power again.

o Remove the jumper from the nvr connector.

And you should be ready to go.

Regards,

Richard