Subject: Re: scc0 / asic0 hang on a 5k/240...
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Tim Austwick <tima@tardis.ed.ac.uk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/17/1998 14:23:30
> What sort of graphics card are you using?  I'd guess it's an unsupported
> one, and you'll have to use a serial console (ie, a separate terminal
> plugged into the DB25 marked "3").  Look at the recent message from
> Jonathan Stone below.

I have 2 gfx cards... the one i chose to use is the PMAG-BA 9v5.3a). The
other one (a huge sexy PMAG-F) isnt supported i dont think... Accorind to
the info i can find, the BA should work okay tho.

When the Dec does its little tests its fails and echos this:

?STF (4: Ln #0 Kbd self test)

and

?STF (4: Ln #1 Pntr self test)

Im using cables from a Decstation 5000/200 but they look the same (and
have the same part number) as the 240 ones. Ive tried what i *assume* were
240 cables, but to no avail.

The funny thing is the keyboard (and mouse) DO work. I can type stuff in,
and the mouse works in Ultrix (on a different Dec, namely a 5k/200).

However, this might just be a 'feature' and im not really bothered about
the error message BUT:

When i boot NetBSD it doesnt get very far! It boots from a 100meg scsi
drive, and detects my RAM and a few other bits and pieces then echos this:

asic0 at tc0 slot 3 offset 0x0
le (ethernet stuff....) blah
le (more stuff)...
scc0 at asic0 offset 0x100000 priority 6

And just hangs. The keyboard still beeps when i press keys, but nothing
echo on the screen, and as far as i can tell its dead.

Now the reason i mentioned the kbd/pntr fault is that these errors occour
during the scc/[stuff] tests. And as im not very familar with NetBSD, i
reckoned the reason it hangs at the scc0 bit is that it too is testing my
keyboard, and failing for some reason.

Has anybody else had this problem, or does anyone recognise anything odd?
Could someone tell me what this scc stuff is all about?

A good test to eliminate my potentially faulty kbd/mouse would be to use a
dumb term, and boot netbsd from the terminal. But, as I explained in my
prevoius message, when i attach a console (ive tried a wyse, a linux box
with minicom, and shock horror, and Windows machine with Hyerterminal!), I
can type stuff in okay, but i dont receive anything. Which means the only
things I can do is 'reset' which flashed the test led's, and setenv
console 5 which re-activates the monitor/keyboard/mouse.

The cable is okay (i use it for a sparcstation1 with no monitor), and Im
setting the right mode 9600/8/N and plugging it into port 3.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks for any help! I really want to get this beast going (5k/240 with
88megs ram, and a HP 17" colour monitor...mmmm nice!).

Cheers,

Tim