Subject: ssc0 / asic hang ona 5k/240...
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Austwick <tima@tardis.ed.ac.uk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/15/1998 10:21:53
Hi all,

Im a bit new to this whole NetBSD/pmax mularky, but ive used
unix/linux/solaris etc a fair bit./ Anyway heres my problem:

I have a DecStation 5000/240 which i want to put netbsd on (ultrix is
pap!). I managed to write the root to a scsi drive, and then boot off this
drive (i couldnt use disklabel, so i just dd'd the file to the drive,
under linux!).

Well, it starts booting okay, but then hangs at the scc0 bit.
Unfortunately, i dont know what the scc or asic controllers are...!
When My DecStation turns on, it complains about a keyboard/mouse error
(TFL 3/blah...) and ive tried a new keyboard and mouse but to no avail.
Interestingly the keyboard still works, and i guess the mouse does too!

Ive trued using the serial console to see if NetBSD is hanging because of
the keyboard/poiter problem, but whenever i do 'setenv console s' it
allows me to *input* on the serial terminal, but not to *output* (i know
this because if i type 'reset' the test lights start flashing, and to get
my system back i have to blindly setenv console 5...)

This is as far as I have got... Im *really* stuck!! Any suggestions as to
what is wrong, or how i can get it booting would be handy!

Thanks for any help!

Tim Austwick