Subject: re: 1.3.2 installation from CD
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Terry R. Friedrichsen <terry@venus.sunquest.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/14/1998 14:55:55
>> sysinst will *not* install from CD-ROM.

> I believe that you can install from a directory on the local
> filesystem.

My problem with *that* was that I was installing on an existing 1.3
system, and it wouldn't copy more than about 2 megabytes from the CD to
a disk without inducing a reboot (no panic, no traceback, just alakazam!
and you're rebooting).  (Well, actually, it's a 1.2G system, but *that*
wouldn't mount the CD, so I dug up a 1.3 kernel and booted that just for
the purpose of getting the tgz files off the CD.  That's how I found out
1.3 wouldn't copy off the CD without rebooting.  I wound up using the
1.3 kernel to mount the CD and FTP'd the diskimage.gz file to another
system so I could FTP it back onto a disk and then dd it onto my install
disk.  I had lots more fun than you might at first expect :-).

Otherwise, yeah, I'd have given that a shot ...

Thanks.
Terry

terry@venus.sunquest.com