Subject: Re: Mounting the root fs rw
To: Jonathan Stone , Nick Moffitt <nick@zork.net>
From: Nick Moffitt <nick@zork.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/13/1998 19:13:48
On Tue, Oct 13, 1998 at 12:55:59PM -0700, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> >        And yet, when I try 'mount_cd9660 /dev/rz4c /cdrom' it says
> >'mount_cd9660: : Invalid argument'.
>

> Hi,
>
> You mention that the CD is borrowed.
>
> Are you _sure_ that the CD-rom is jumpered to 512-byte sectors?
> (NB: if it's working on a PC, or just about anything except a Sun
> or a DEC box, it probably isn't.)

	I'm pretty sure it's not.  Do most CD-ROMs have a jumper for
that?  Ultrix handled the configuration fine, wich would prove your
hypothesis that Ultrix had the drivers that could handle it.

> Sun workstations have the same hardware limitation.   See:
> 	http://saturn.tlug.org/suncdfaq/suncds.htm
> for info on this issue and on jumpering options for some drives.

	Unfortunately, I'm not about to go soldering or diking up a
borrowed drive.  The drives listed on this page don't seem to have
jumpers, but rather switches and leads to connect.

> so, could you please ensure you have a CD-rom that can do 512-byte
> sectoring, and then try
>
> 	mount -o ro -t cd9660 /dev/rz4a /cdrom
>
> (Note the "-o ro" and the "a" partition.) That _does_ work, verbatim,
> on a DEC RRD42 with a couple of random conference-proceedings CDs I
> had around.

	Yes, I did try -o ro and -r both (the man pages say they're
equivalent, naturally).

--
 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of