Subject: Re: Mounting the root fs rw
To: Simon Burge , Nick Moffitt <nick@zork.net>
From: Nick Moffitt <nick@zork.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/13/1998 10:40:29
---Simon Burge wrote:
> The kernel in the 1.3.2 release does include the cd9660 driver.  Can
> you do something as simple as:
>
> 	dd if=/dev/rz4c of=/some/file/name bs=512 count=2048
>
> This should read the first megabyte off the CD.

	And that it does.  I've got a megabyte file that looks a lot
like raw cd data.  It shows that it's the NetBSD packages CD and
everything.

	And yet, when I try 'mount_cd9660 /dev/rz4c /cdrom' it says
'mount_cd9660: : Invalid argument'.

	The CD does light up as though it were beginning to read stuff
off the CD.  I ran a 'strings `which mount_cd9660` | less' and
searched for the word 'argument'.  The message seems to be in a
collection of strings for error handling routines, and is between "Too
many open files in system" and "Is a direcctory" (although I'm sure
this info is pretty useless).

	Now, I can still mount this from my Ultrix partition (although
it only does 8.3 style names), but that's not much help, as ultrix
doesn't speak FFS, and I'm out of space on my UFS partitions.

	I could hypothetically hook this beast back up to the net and
try to download the packages, but that would be at mild imposition on
my friends at the CoffeeNet.  Apart from CCD-ROM, my only other option
for media seems to be the tape drive, and I'm not sure that I can find
a machine that will both read the CD with rockridge extensions AND
write to tk50 tapes.

	By the way, is there a manifest for the packages available on
the web site?

--
 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of