Subject: Re: Mounting the root fs rw
To: Nick Moffitt <nick@zork.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/13/1998 14:12:59
On Mon, 12 Oct 1998 11:48:44 -0700, Nick Moffitt wrote:

> I was able to
> mount the CD from ULTRIX (Though it didn't do rockridge, and I had a
> devil of a time convincing it that it shouldn't pretend to be VMS),

Under Ultrix, something like:

	mount -r -o nodefperm,noversion -t cdfs /dev/rz4c /mnt

should work (for at least Ultrix 4.4 and later - dunno about 4.3A and
earlier).

>         Also, I kept the drive that had ULTRIX on it, and the boot
> console continues to want to boot into it.  Any ideas on how to
> reconfigure the boot console on this thing?  I've got a big gray wall
> of docs, most of them ridiculous beginning Unix documentation, and the
> rest seems to be hardware info.

It's a DECstation 5000/25 right?  Try the following:

	>> setenv boot "3/rz?/netbsd -a"

where the ? is your NetBSD disk's SCSI id.

> I actually installed NetBSD so that I
> could burn the licenses (I have a 1000-user license!), so I'll
> probably be burning the docs while I'm at it.

A 1000 user licence?  Probably make good money on comp.unix.ultrix with
it!  I've only ever seen a 32 user licence here...

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998 16:08:00 -0700, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> Have you tried mounting the CD after installation?
> I presume the CD-rom a DEC CD that's jumpered for a 512-byte blocksize?
>
> Did you  specify
>
>     mount -o ro -t cd9660 /dev/rz?a  /mount/point
>
> (where ? is the appropriate SCSI unit; 4 is common on DEC hardware).
>
> My guess is that the sysinst code is using the MI scsi names.  That
> will fail the pmax port uses the old 4.4bsd scsi code, with /dev/rz?a,
> not cd?a (e.g., /dev/rz4a not /dev/cd0a).
>
> Maybe we can get this fixed for 1.3.3, but who knows if/when more CDs
> will be pressed.

I've never done a CD install, but from the code it looks like you get a
chance to choose the device to mount the CD on.  Is this is the case?
If so (as Jonathan says), use /dev/rz?a and not /dev/cd?a.  Can you
please let me know if this works?

> Simon: time for another doc update and FAQ entry...

Yup.  Maybe the sysinst fix is as simply as putting an initialiser in
arch/pmax/md.c ?

Simon.