Subject: Re: Mounting the root fs rw
To: Jonathan Stone , Nick Moffitt <nick@zork.net>
From: Nick Moffitt <nick@zork.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/12/1998 23:11:59
On Mon, Oct 12, 1998 at 04:08:00PM -0700, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> Have you tried mounting the CD after installation?

	I have tried.  That's the issue.  Ultrix mounted it just fine,
but neither the miniroot nor the base installation of NetBSD would
accept the mountpoints I gave.

> I presume the CD-rom a DEC CD that's jumpered for a 512-byte blocksize?

	It's a Toshiba XM drive, and about as standard as you can get.

> Did you  specify
>
>     mount -o ro -t cd9660 /dev/rz?a  /mount/point

	I tried:
mount -r -t cd9660 /dev/rz4c /mnt2
mount -t cd9660 /dev/rz4c /mnt2
mount_cd9660 /dev/rz4c /mnt2

	And other variations.  I believe that c is a mnemonic for the
"complete" drive, and isn't a real partition so much as a description
of the entire drive.  At the very least this was true for the hard
drives.

	The drive does respond to some prodding (like trying to mount
it ffs, which fails miserably, but the thing does spin up).  The only
problem is that when I specify a mount point, it says "invalid
argument".

> My guess is that the sysinst code is using the MI scsi names.  That
> will fail the pmax port uses the old 4.4bsd scsi code, with /dev/rz?a,
> not cd?a (e.g., /dev/rz4a not /dev/cd0a).

	I did use the MI names, and not the strange type names (This
is one beef that I have with Linux--namely that I cannot refer to a
device by its SCSI ID).

> Maybe we can get this fixed for 1.3.3, but who knows if/when more CDs
> will be pressed.
>
> Simon: time for another doc update and FAQ entry...

	Well, the pmax docs were only marginally helpful for my little
decstation, but I wasn't going into this expecting any hand-holding.

On an unrelated note, I find that the base installation is missing
some utilites, such as fdisk, which I rather need in order to try to
bring another of my drives up.  adduser is also missing, and I've had
to guess a bit about the behavior of the master.passwd and passwd
files (I must confess that I am not as familiar as I should be with
the Berkeley Way).  Am I to assume that these are on the packages CD
(which I am unable to mount)?

--
 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of