Subject: Re: X11R6 status?
To: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/12/1998 16:23:23
>Agreed - The transition to wscons structures is hard,
>more or less due to the fact that serial, kbd and mouse drivers
>are closely tied in the existing code.

>I think it's the way to go, but it should be kept as a separate
>branch for a while, until all the needed hardware support is
>complete.

Sure.

The other constraint is that we need to emulate Xws _anyway_.  Because
DEC never released the programming specs or Xserver source code for
the "accelerated" framebuffer TC boards, and now even DEC doesn't have
docs: all that's available is the DEC Ultrix Xserver binaries.

Emulating that means feeding keyboard and pointer events into
something very like the existing shared-memory ringbuffer framework,
but different in detail.... I have code that handles the
non-accelerated boards, but I left the input side alone, since
changing it would break the R5 Xservers.

Mattias, maybe we should exchange code snippets?