Subject: Re: Mounting the root fs rw
To: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Nick Moffitt <nick@zork.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/12/1998 11:48:44
On Mon, Oct 12, 1998 at 10:17:26AM -0600, Michael L. Hitch wrote:
> On Oct 11, 11:02pm, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 13, 1998 at 12:02:41PM -0600, Michael L. Hitch wrote:
> > > 	mount -t kernfs none /mnt
> > > 	mount -u / /mnt/rootdev
> > > 	umount /mnt
> >
> > 	I find that I have all my drives ready to be mounted, but the
> > root filesystem for the minidisk is mounted readonly.  I tried the
> > instructions listed here, but the system hung upon trying the mount -u
> > (I'm not too familiar with BSD semantics--is u Unconditional or
>
>   -u is "update";  Just "-u" will update a read-only mount to write, and
> "-ur" (or -u -r) will update a writeable filesystem to read-only.
>
> > something?  Why did the mount point go before the special file?)
>
>   Because I was probably tired and didn't check what I wrote :-)
>   That should be:
> 	mount -u /mnt/rootdev /

	After posting that message, I decided to trust my intuition
and follow your instructions in the correct form.  It worked
wonderfully!
	I'm installing on a Personal DECStation 5000/25, and it's been
a real learning experienve (I'm a Sun/Linux admin myself, and learning
the old Ultrix chpt commands were quite enlightening).  Once I get
into the miniroot, however, I am unable to mount my CD-ROM drive.
When I do, it doesn't seem to like the mountpoint I give it.  And
mount_9660 complains about invalid arguments.
	I noticed this because the sysinst program balked when trying
to mount the CD.  I finally gave in and did an FTP install (good thing
I had that ethernet transciever and a good network connection at the
time!), and the thing installed like a charm.  My only problem now is
that I took the system home, and I still haven't installed the
packages collection.

	Any ideas what could be wrong with the system?  I was able to
mount the CD from ULTRIX (Though it didn't do rockridge, and I had a
devil of a time convincing it that it shouldn't pretend to be VMS),
and that's where I got the disk image to dd into the swap partition.

	Also, I kept the drive that had ULTRIX on it, and the boot
console continues to want to boot into it.  Any ideas on how to
reconfigure the boot console on this thing?  I've got a big gray wall
of docs, most of them ridiculous beginning Unix documentation, and the
rest seems to be hardware info.  I actually installed NetBSD so that I
could burn the licenses (I have a 1000-user license!), so I'll
probably be burning the docs while I'm at it.

	I'd just like to thank the folks that made the pmax port
possible.  Now there's not an OS left in the house that I can't get
source code to!

--
 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of