Subject: Re: Mounting the root fs rw
To: Nick Moffitt <nick@zork.net>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/12/1998 10:17:26
On Oct 11, 11:02pm, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 13, 1998 at 12:02:41PM -0600, Michael L. Hitch wrote:
> > An alternative might be to mount the kernfs filesystem, which should
> > contain a "rootdev" entry, which can be used to mount the root
> > partition - something like this:
> >
> > 	mount -t kernfs none /mnt
> > 	mount -u / /mnt/rootdev
> > 	umount /mnt
>
> 	I find that I have all my drives ready to be mounted, but the
> root filesystem for the minidisk is mounted readonly.  I tried the
> instructions listed here, but the system hung upon trying the mount -u
> (I'm not too familiar with BSD semantics--is u Unconditional or

  -u is "update";  Just "-u" will update a read-only mount to write, and
"-ur" (or -u -r) will update a writeable filesystem to read-only.

> something?  Why did the mount point go before the special file?)

  Because I was probably tired and didn't check what I wrote :-)  That should
be:
	mount -u /mnt/rootdev /

  [I think someone may have corrected that.]

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant