Subject: Re: Mounting the root fs rw
To: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Nick Moffitt <nick@zork.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/11/1998 23:02:48
On Sun, Sep 13, 1998 at 12:02:41PM -0600, Michael L. Hitch wrote:
> On Sep 13, 10:50am, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > > Secondly I've run into another slight problem. I've dd'ed the
> > > diskimage to a scsi-disk and booted it. It works just fine, and
> > > I have a second disk installed and ready to be set up with
> > > sysinst. The problem is, however, that the disk that received
> > > the diskimage is mounted read-only, and the sysint script
> > > requires the disk to be rw. Now, that should simply be a matter
> > > of remounting it, but I don't seem to be able to do just that.
> > > The disk I have the fs on is rz5 and there is no /dev/rz5a file
> > > in my /dev directory, or any /dev/rz5* files for that matter.
>
> An alternative might be to mount the kernfs filesystem, which should
> contain a "rootdev" entry, which can be used to mount the root
> partition - something like this:
>
> 	mount -t kernfs none /mnt
> 	mount -u / /mnt/rootdev
> 	umount /mnt

	I find that I have all my drives ready to be mounted, but the
root filesystem for the minidisk is mounted readonly.  I tried the
instructions listed here, but the system hung upon trying the mount -u
(I'm not too familiar with BSD semantics--is u Unconditional or
something?  Why did the mount point go before the special file?)

--
 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of