Subject: NTP and multicast broadcasts
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/08/1998 01:06:33
I've got ntp configured on my 5000/240 to send out multicast and net
directed broadcasts, but it doesn't ever appear to do so.  pstat reports
that no packets are being sent, either, and I'm wondering what's going on.

The same config file options under Linux appear to work as expected.  The
Linux xntpd box sends out broadcast packets both to 224.0.0.1 and
10.0.0.255.

The DECStation responds to pings directed at 224.0.0.1, so multicast must
be working at some level...  Perhaps I need a new xntpd?

The clock on the DECStation really shows how badly PC clocks drift.  It's
rediculous.  :)

----
  Aaron J. Grier  | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@poofy.goof.com
    "anything but analog, man.  two cans and string beats dealing with
     resetting stuck modems, no matter how many insane whack-ass expect
     scripts [written] to deal with 'em." -- Skeezics Boondoggle