Subject: Re: Shared-lib update for netbsd/pmax 1.3.2 on ftp.netbsd.org
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org, jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Philip Tait <pjt@phxase.allied.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/06/1998 10:39:48
Philip Tait wrote:

> Jonathan Stone wrote:
>
> > If you install the updated ld.elf_so and libc (by untarring the
> > tarball in /), then Perl should run all tests successfully.
> > I dont recall if the standard Perl pkg config in 1.3.2 enables -ldl
> > dynamic libraries, but if it does, then AFAIK they should work, too.
>
> The next step seems to be to modify 'hints/netbsd.sh' so that 'pmax' is removed
> from the list of architectures that cannot handle dynamic loading of modules,
> resulting in these settings:
>
>                 d_dlopen=$define
>                 d_dlerror=$define
> # we use -fPIC here because -fpic is *NOT* enough for some of the
> # extensions like Tk on some netbsd platforms (the sparc is one)
>                 cccdlflags="-DPIC -fPIC $cccdlflags"
>                 lddlflags="-Bforcearchive -Bshareable $lddlflags"
>
> I'm currently trying to build this.  I'd appreciate any advice on the
> applicability of the cc and ld flag options.

In order to get the 'dlsym' test program to work from Configure, I made the
following change to 'hints/netbsd.sh':

23c23
<       alpha|powerpc)
---
>       alpha|powerpc|pmax)
33,38d32
<       pmax)
<                 d_dlopen=$define
<                 d_dlerror=$define
<                 cccdlflags="-DPIC -fPIC $cccdlflags"
<               lddlflags="-shared $lddlflags"
<               ;;

The make proceeded without significant problems, but 'make test' failed dismally:

pragma/locale.....FAILED at test 0
lib/anydbm........FAILED at test 0
lib/db-btree......FAILED at test 0
lib/db-hash.......FAILED at test 0
lib/db-recno......FAILED at test 0
lib/filehand......FAILED at test 4
lib/io_taint......FAILED at test 0
lib/io_xs.........FAILED at test 0
lib/ndbm..........FAILED at test 0
lib/opcode........FAILED at test 0
lib/ops...........FAILED at test 0
lib/posix.........FAILED at test 6
lib/safe1.........FAILED at test 0
lib/safe2.........FAILED at test 0
lib/sdbm..........FAILED at test 0

At first glance, it looks like a problem with dynamic loading.  I will report any
further progress.  Again, corrections or suggestions are welcome.  Is anyone else
out there using Perl on NetBSD/pmax?

--

Philip J. Tait.....AlliedSignal Engines, Phoenix, Az.....pjt@phxase.allied.com