Subject: Re: Shared-lib update for netbsd/pmax 1.3.2 on ftp.netbsd.org
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Philip Tait <pjt@phxase.allied.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/06/1998 08:49:26
Jonathan Stone wrote:

> If you install the updated ld.elf_so and libc (by untarring the
> tarball in /), then Perl should run all tests successfully.
> I dont recall if the standard Perl pkg config in 1.3.2 enables -ldl
> dynamic libraries, but if it does, then AFAIK they should work, too.

The next step seems to be to modify 'hints/netbsd.sh' so that 'pmax' is removed
from the list of architectures that cannot handle dynamic loading of modules,
resulting in these settings:

                d_dlopen=$define
                d_dlerror=$define
# we use -fPIC here because -fpic is *NOT* enough for some of the
# extensions like Tk on some netbsd platforms (the sparc is one)
                cccdlflags="-DPIC -fPIC $cccdlflags"
                lddlflags="-Bforcearchive -Bshareable $lddlflags"

I'm currently trying to build this.  I'd appreciate any advice on the
applicability of the cc and ld flag options.

--

Philip J. Tait.....AlliedSignal Engines, Phoenix, Az.....pjt@phxase.allied.com