Subject: Re: X11R6 status?
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/05/1998 21:25:12
> Could somebody fill me in on the status of the X11R6 server ports?

There has been little official discussion between NetBSD/pmax
developers about how X11R6 server should be supported in NetBSD/pmax.

One approach is to have ULTRIX/Digital UNIX's 'Xws' interface as
accurately as possible so that X11R6 source codes distributed by MIT
are compiled easily and run usefully (look at xc/programs/Xserver/hw/dec/)

Another would be to adapt NWSCONS interface.  NWSCONS is NetBSD's
cross platform framebuffer/console subsystem, which was originally
developed for NetBSD/alpha based on SunOS fb interface, then adapted
and extended for general frameframework.

The adavantage of latter approach is, NetBSD would finally have cross
platform console functionality/programming interface.  Although the
ways to handle bitmap framebuffer hardwares inherently vary each
other, porting X11 servers would be greatly simplified, especially by
uniform keyboard/mouse.  I'm playing with daydreaming of "wscons.pmax"
or "wscons.alpha" under xsrc/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/netbsd/ :-)

I've been working with NWSCONS framebuffer codes for NetBSD/pmax, and
Matthias Drochner, NWSCONS developer, is interested in sharing his
efforts and my owns.

Unfortunately, it would be relatively large scale task to replace
Xserver interface/rasterconsole, and I'm not sure it would be possible
to have smooth transition to the new framework in future.  Matthias
would provide his own thought.

Tohru Nishimura
Information Technology Centre
Nara Institute of Science and Technology