Subject: Re: Disk trouble installing NetBSD
To: Ole Jakob Skjelten <olesk@stud.ntnu.no>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/01/1998 13:45:07
On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 21:57:43 +0200  Ole Jakob Skjelten wrote:

> [ story about disk problems ]

You mention that you have tried three different 2100's, all with the
same problems.  Are you using external disk boxes, and the same boxing
and cabling each time?

Also, you mention Ultrix is on one of the disks.  Can you boot Ultrix
ok, and use something like rzdisk to scan all the disks without errors?

To me it sounds like a SCSI cabling problem, as long as Michael's idea
of the 3GB disk being "too new" is not correct.

Ultrix should be able to handle the 3GB disk, but it can only make
filesystems up to 2GB in size.  (I think Ultrix 4.2A and older could
only handle 1GB filesystems?  I'm a bit vague about this...)

> PS: Does anybody know which value to set in the BIOS to point the
> automount to the right disk and have it run automatically?

Wash your mouth out with soap!  It's a PROM, not a BIOS :)  The
instructions Michael Hitch gave are correct, except there's only
one `s' in netbsd :-)

>	setenv bootpath "rz(0,2,0)/netbssd"

Simon.