Subject: Re: Disk trouble installing NetBSD
To: None <PORT-PMAX@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/01/1998 09:24:14
> PS: Does anybody know which value to set in the BIOS to point the
> automount to the right disk and have it run automatically?

If you mention to how to educate DECstation PROM monitor to select
booting device, a example would be;

	setenv boot "3/rz2/netbsd a"

Single boot command at >> prompt will start to load a kernel named
"netbsd" then proceed to so-called multiuser mode (/etc/fstab and
/etc/rc.conf must be prepared correctly).

If you want to bring the whole system up automatically after poweron,
set another PROM variable as;

 	setenv haltaction b

SII DC7061 SCSI adaptor/driver problem is out of my experience.
Besides more severe electrical tolelance for inperfect cables, it's
quite possible DECstation SCSI circuit won't cope with some of SCSI
devices, for example, one of my very old Quntam was never usable
(recognized by PROM but won't start data loading) with Personal
DECstation.

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology