Subject: Re: Disk trouble installing NetBSD
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/30/1998 19:32:10
On Oct  1,  9:24am, Toru Nishimura wrote:
> > PS: Does anybody know which value to set in the BIOS to point the
> > automount to the right disk and have it run automatically?
>
> If you mention to how to educate DECstation PROM monitor to select
> booting device, a example would be;
>
> 	setenv boot "3/rz2/netbsd a"

  Nope, that won't work...

	setenv bootpath "rz(0,2,0)/netbssd"

will define the boot define and filename.  Then the "auto" command will
boot into mult-user mode, and the "boot" command will boot into single-
user.  [I think this is the way it works;  it's been a while since I've
booted the 3100 and tend to forget how it works.]

> SII DC7061 SCSI adaptor/driver problem is out of my experience.
> Besides more severe electrical tolelance for inperfect cables, it's
> quite possible DECstation SCSI circuit won't cope with some of SCSI
> devices, for example, one of my very old Quntam was never usable
> (recognized by PROM but won't start data loading) with Personal
> DECstation.

  It's very possible the SII driver can't deal with newer, faster drives.
I think I've only used RZ23, RZ24, and RZ56 drives on my 3100.  I may
have had some others connected for short periods of time, but I can't
remember what they may have been.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu