Subject: Re: Abnormal mouse behaviour on Personal DS
To: Brighten Godfrey <godfreyb@bigw.org>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/29/1998 23:02:15
On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Brighten Godfrey wrote:

=> On several Personal DECstation 5000/20s, a friend and I have noticed
=> strange, annoying behavior of the mouse: whenever the system load is high,
=> the mouse acts as though it is clicking, at random. (i.e. you move the
=> mouse over an xterm and it might select text even if you're not clicking
=> the mouse button.) When the system load is low, the mouse acts normally.
=>
=> Keyboards, mice, and cables have been swapped, and this behavior has been
=> observed on several systems under different window managers. The mouse has
=> model #VSXXX-BB (a hockey puck mouse with two rollers), and the keyboard
=> is model #LK501-AA. We're running NetBSD 1.3.2.
=>
=> Anyone else note this problem? Any solutions, ideas?

We had exactly the same problem on our 5000/25s (spurious mouse
movements/jumps and mouse clicks).  We "solved" the problem by rotating
out the 5000/25s as and when we got replacement 5000/125 and 5000/240s,
which have a serial mouse interface (as opposed to Personal DECstations,
which use some kind of "desktop bus," I believe). :-)

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
	--- James Marshall Hendrix