Subject: Re: How to install Ultrix 4.0 on a DS 5000/2xx ?
To: Marc Gutschner <Marc.Gutschner@triplan.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/22/1998 10:42:45
On Mon, 21 Sep 1998 19:18:22 +0200  Marc Gutschner wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I have a set of TK50 tapes with ULTRIX 4.0 (I think 5 tapes - the tapes
> are at home and I'm (still ;)) at work), a TZ30 drive and a couple of
> DECsystems... I would like to install ULTRIX on one of these beasts -
> just for laughs ;) Does this "ancient" version of ULTRIX support the
> /2xx DECstations ? And if yes, how do I tell the machine to boot from
> the tape ? I have 2 tapes labled "Supported Subsets", one tape labled
> "Unupported Subsets", 1 (or two) labled "UWS" and one that says
> "Mandatory Upgrade". I've heard rumors that ULTRIX came in two (actually
> four if you count VAXen ;) ) flavors: a so-called "CONDIST" and "The
> Real Thing(tm)"... Can anyone tell from the tape lables if I'm out of
> luck and should give up my experiments ? And if not, what is the magic
> incantation to make the DS kick off the installation procedure ?

I've only used CD-based Ultrix from 4.2 onwards, so I can't help too
much.  However, Ultrix 4.3A was the first to support the R4x00 chips, so
you definitely won't have support for either the 5000/150 or 5000/260
systems with 4.0.

If you've got a 5000/200, you want to use something like

	boot 5/tzN	(N is the SCSI id of your tape)

or on a 5000/240

	boot 3/tzN

If you get an error like "?IO: 3/tz5 (bb rd)" is probably means there's
no boot blocks on that tape.

Simon.